GRAY HAZE (Book 1 of Secrets of Volenin) is quite large, so the editing process is going to take some time. To keep you informed on where I’m at, I have created a rough timeline from now to the year 2022. As I finish each task, I will edit this post, so you can check back here anytime. I will also post progress updates on the sidebar and my social media accounts.
PHASE 1: Read manuscript [1-2 weeks]
- Read manuscript and track all names, places, and words for the glossary + pronunciation guide. ✔️
- Check for misspellings and other grammatical errors. ✔️
PHASE 2: Edit prose [1-2 weeks]
- Cut adverbs. ✔️
- Search repetitious, filler words and delete where necessary. ✔️
- Revise metaphors & similes. ✔️
- Search for “stage directing” verbs and cut where necessary. ✔️
- Locate subject/verb combinations that don’t make sense, i.e. “Her eyes flew to the restaurant.” ✔️
- Trim excessive “heart pounding,” “stomach churning,” “throat tightening” descriptions. ✔️
- Check for unnecessary passive voice. ✔️
- Check for spelling and capitalization consistency. ✔️
- Search for repeated words and phrases to cut. ✔️
- Dilute or cut blatant foreshadowing. ✔️
- Modify places where reader is told what the character is about to do. ✔️
PHASE 3: Edit scenes [1-2 weeks]
- Compose a list of every scene. ✔️
- Identify the purpose of every scene. ✔️
- Format manuscript with MS Word + edit every line. ✔️
- Add/cut scenes where necessary. ✔️
PHASE 4: Wait for editor [1 month]
- Format manuscript with Reedsy.
- Send manuscript to editor.
- Organize glossary, pronunciation guide, table of contents, etc.
- Compose content rating, dedication, copyright, and about the author pages.
- Await editor feedback.
PHASE 5: Utilize editor feedback [1-3 months]
- Discuss manuscript with editor.
- Restructure sentences or dialogue and make grammar corrections where needed.
- Outline each character’s development and track character consistency.
- Add, rewrite, or cut scenes where necessary.
- Highlight quotes to be used for marketing.
PHASE 6: Prepare for beta readers [1 month]
- Reformat manuscript to include all front and back matter.
- Order copyright for manuscript.
- Split manuscript into six digestible parts for beta readers.
- Find and recruit beta readers.
PHASE 7: Wait for beta readers [2-4 months]
- Outline Book 2
- Purchase ISBN numbers
- Reformat manuscript to include new maps.
PHASE 8: Utilize beta reader feedback [1-2 months]
- Make necessary changes.
- Polish manuscript + write acknowledgments.
- Purchase a professional formatting + book cover package.
- Work with professionals to finalize product.
- Redesign blog and social media platforms to match Gray Haze.
PHASE 9: Market Book 1 + Start Book 2 [2-3 months]
- Print ARCs for advanced reviews.
- Announce release date.
- Start Book 2.
- Host ARC giveaways + find ebook readers to review.
- Purchase extra goodies for giveaways, promos, and newsletter subscribers.
PHASE 10: Release Book 1 + Finish Book 2 [3 months]
- Continue writing Book 2.
- Set Gray Haze up for a pre-order discount (ebook edition).
- Prepare paperbacks and hardcovers for worldwide distribution.
- Release Gray Haze into the wild. *BIG PARTY*
- Finish Book 2 + announce title.