This is going to be a short post. haha
Eventually I figure people are going to ask why I chose to drop my last name from my books. Why not use the traditional first/middle initials with the last name like J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien? I realize that my name is far from gender-neutral and may not do me any favors when it comes to selling more books, but allow me to list the reasons I chose it:
- First, branding. In order to create a brand, I thought I would need something unique. I thought of using a completely different name from what I was given at birth and decided against it. “Mitzi C Books” became my brand when I created my first website.
- I like my first name. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- My last name is “Larson.” How many authors with the name “Larson” do you know about? I can think of at least three. Plus, I plan on changing my last name in the future when I get married, so it’s not permanent.
- I don’t like jumping on bandwagons. I like being different and breaking rules whenever possible. I can’t think of any authors who have done the reverse of the norm (first name, middle initial instead of first initial(s), last name). This could be a new trend. 😉
- Three syllables. I think the number of syllables and cadence are important when you want something to be memorable. Same with rhyming. “Mitzi C” rhymes. It is short. It sticks in your head. The possessive form would sound like “Mitzi Sees,” which is kinda cool, and “Mitzi” means “Sea of bitterness,” so it fits. Maybe I should have gone with “Mitzi Sea”…🤔
- I want everyone to know I am a Female. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. I understand that many female authors would rather appear gender-neutral so both men and women will buy their books, but I am not too eager to hop on that train. I am hoping my ideas will be alluring enough to take precedence over my identity when readers hear about my books.
What do you think? Did I set myself up for failure? I am willing to hear your opinions. Just keep in mind that I am not going to change it. LOL
By the way, Burning Space has moved onto the second round in the Cover of the Month contest on AllAuthor! Thank you! But I still need a great number of votes if I am going to win, so please spread the word. If you voted already, you can vote again! VOTE
Pre-order Burning Space for it to be auto-delivered to your Kindle on Friday, October 12th! 🎉